Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

I interrupt my memoir posts to say a few words about the new hurricane bearing down on Louisiana.

I am not even thinking of what might happen to our house/belongings. Not going there mentally. However, I do keep hoping that this storm leaves New Orleans alone so we can continue with our life and have little disruption. I know that sounds selfish, but I think New Orleanians have the right to feel selfish about this one. Some are still in the rebuilding mode and others have just finished.

Going through this evacuation/preparation/waiting game again is different from the first time. Now we all fear how long, how bad, what next? We all know we can recover from it because we have before. Just knowing we may have to go through it again makes me sick to my stomach. But, there is nothing we can do but be safe.

So I sit here in Dallas watching the constant news coverage and keeping up to date on the status of the hurricane and path. I am sitting in my father-in-law's recliner watching the news and typing this. Kids are happy to be at Gigi's! Hubby is in Hattiesburg, MS at a friend's house. A little more out of harm's way but able to easily get home after. If it gets really bad he will leave there and head to Dallas to set up his business here temporarily.

Just a reminder to those who may not be aware (and I don't expect you to be if you don't live near/in the Gulf South) but this hurricane is falling on the same day, same time of day and same week as Katrina. And that is eerie!

Katrina = Aug 29th, 10am
Gustave = Sept 1st, 10am-ish

Oh. And as I attempt to end this post the weather lady just tells me that the width of this storm is the same as Katrina! That means it affects those in a much larger area than where the eye passes over. The eye of Katrina hit 1 hours east of us. We still sustained an ENORMOUS amount of damage from it!

1 comment:

Queen Sarah said...

I have been thinking about you, and watching the news since yesterday afternoon. Hoping for the best for you and your family. New Orleans has had way more than its share ~ it's just unimaginable! Keep us posted.