Friday, November 30, 2007

I guess I am rare


Ok. I know a few of you have contacted me for updates and I haven't gotten back to you. So here is my update for all.

I had an MRI, Spinal Tap, Bloodwork and X-Rays and all came back normal. No sign of Guillian-Barre Syndrome (GBS). West Nile Virus = negative. The doc tells me that in rare cases a person can have GBS and it won't show up in the Spinal Tap.

So, next the doc wanted me to come in today for a 2 hour nerve/muscle test. It involved putting electrodes on my hands, arms, legs and feet and then shocking me to see how my nerves responded. Sorta like static electricity shocks - some much stronger. Then, he stuck me with accupuncture needles and tested my muscles. He would stick the needle into my calf muscle and then make me flex it. He did this all over my arms and legs. It was more painful then the nerve test, but not the worst pain I have ever endured.

Guess what? The tests came back normal. He says my nerves and muscles are responding as any 33 year old's would. He said, the good news is every test has come back normal. The bad news is that he doesn't know what I have. He said in rare cases a person can have such a mild case that no tests can confirm that it is GBS.

The last 3 days I have actually felt better and feel like I am getting better. I can walk a little easier and have a bit more energy and a little less numbness. A little more motor skill control. More feeling in my hands.

The verdict: My doc believes I have GBS and that my body is recovering already. He has decided to not treat me and give me two weeks to see if my body continues to heal itself. Basically my immune system revved up after my upper respitory infection and kidney stone and started to attack my nerves. Treatment would just reverse my immune system so it calms down. He (and I) believe it is starting to reverse itself already.

So what if I don't get better in two weeks? I asked that. He said, he will have to punt and send me to one of the top 10 neurologists in the country who happens to be at LSU and happens to be whom he trained under.

We are both hoping we don't get that far. I am hoping that every day I get a little stronger and by Christmas I am 90% recovered and can fully enjoy the holiday with my family that are all flying in to celebrate with us.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, phone calls and prayers. I have felt and appreciate your support and apologize for not responding to everyone. Things have been a little crazy the last two weeks.

Well, that is it. Happy December!


Greta Perry said...

This is wonderful Amy. I am thrilled to hear it!

shokufeh said...

It sounds like you're in good hands. And that you're improving. I hope things continue to look up.