Friday, January 3, 2014

Divorce - Part 1 - Time to start writing again.

"Winds in the east, mist coming in. / Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin. / Can't put me finger on what lies in store, / But I fear what's to happen all happened before." - Bert from Mary Poppins

On July 2nd, 2011, in the middle of the night I awoke in a hotel to use the bathroom. I was staying there with my husband. I noticed his cell phone was lying on the dresser and he was dead asleep. I seized the very rare opportunity and took the phone into the bathroom with me. I closed the door and proceeded to log into his phone with the password I believed he used. I had been watching him for a month type it in over his shoulder or sitting next to him and  tried to memorize it based on the keyboard and his finger movements. Amazingly, I got it correct.

I went to his text messages and the last text message was a random number (no name) and the contents of the text was erased. I googled the area code and found out it was from Ft. Lauderdale and it was then that I knew my marriage was over.

There is a lot more history before that moment that made me understand the significance of that random number and it being from Ft. Lauderdale. It's a long story that I will eventually get to on this blog.

After that moment, I woke his ass up and confronted him. He instantly got mad at me for checking his phone. I don't recall the argument that followed or the lame excuses he gave me. I just know we packed up, checked out and drove home. Thank god my kids were in Ohio at my parents because the next week was pure hell.

Upon arrival home, he packed a bag and left. I don't recall any of the conversation or what was said at all. I don't even know if I cried. I just remember that I sat down on my red couch and called  my best friend. I spoke 5 words I had never thought I would say "I am getting a divorce." I never felt so sure about a decision in my life.

No comments: