Friday, August 29, 2008

Hurricane Katrina - Our Story - The Intro

Well, today is the 3rd Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. I have been saying I am going to write our story for no other reason than for my kids. I have had many requests to put it down for others to read but just can't seem to find the time or maybe I am avoiding it for some reason.

My story is not as tragic as some. But, it is my story and it was life changing for me and my family. I want my kids to know the details of what happened 3 years ago in this country, what part we played in it and how our lives were changed by it.

I made a promise last week to myself to start writing our story today on the 3rd anniversary and to stop putting it off any longer. I even marked it as a To Do on my calendar! Little did I know that another Hurricane (Gustav) would have us all with that pit in our stomach again and evacuating or preparing for evacuation.

This evacuation is different. After Katrina the feeling and worry is so different than before. It is hard to explain but even a very bad storm has me wondering if a tree will be falling on my house while I try to sleep during it.

So, today on the 3rd anniversary, NOLA braces itself for Gustav and whether we want to or not, we will remember Katrina today. We don't even have a choice this year!

So without further ado. Here is our story.

No comments: