Friday, July 27, 2007

Should I stay or should I go.

Today I was listening to my friend Greta who writes the blog KissMyGumbo.com on 99.5 FM while I was on the treadmill at the gym. I loved the show this week. However, I still could sense the negativity throughout the discussion. (Not from Greta though!)The show's title was "Should I stay or should I go." Meaning should you remain in New Orleans or leave. Well, needless to say the title alone set a very negative atmosphere. One gentleman called in and I believe he said he was an attorney (or doctor or something professional like that - the reception was bad in the gym. I tried to get the treadmill closest to the window!) and that he needed a good reason to stay other than Mardi Gras and Jazz Festival. Crime was bad. Cost of living was high. Schools suck. Corruption, blah, blah, blah. If I had my cell phone on me I would have called into the show! Instead, here is my list of 5 reasons to stay just for him!

1. This is where you are from and where you live - as well as your parents (he mentioned his parents lived in the city too.)
2. There are far worse places to live in this country.
3. Since there are less people living here, this is your chance to become a big fish in a small pond - professionally.
4. Pre-Katrina: New Orleans was in the top ten for murder rates, the city public schools always sucked and there was already corruption.
5. Katrina gave this city the opportunity to start fresh. Clean up it's act. This is a chance for the city to move in a new direction. Don't you want to be a part of it?

The easy way out is to jump on the negativity bandwagon. I am not much for bandwagons so I will walk the long road. You know where to find me . . .

1 comment:

Greta Perry said...

BRAVO!!! Great post. The theme was negative to begin with is right. At least I got to listen to some Clash music!